Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Smile Pretty for the Apocalypse

I have to 'fess up. Big time. Yesterday...I didn't write anything.

OK, OK, before you gasp yourselves into oblivion or start yelling at me, let me plead my case. The thing is, it's not as if I thought about it and said "Meh, I don't think I'll do it today, they'll never know anyway." No. I actually just forgot to write!

That is something I did not anticipate. I thought for sure that I would poop out because I was bored with this little game long before I would simply forget. In fact, I didn't even think about it until this morning when I was on the subway. I was just going along, singing my song, when I suddenly stopped and thought, "Did I write something yesterday? No. No I did not." There was a long pause, then: "Shit." (Because, really, what else do you say?)

To be fair, I had a lot on my mind yesterday. I got my headshots done today (it went great, but I'll get to that later) and that meant a lot of prep time yesterday. I had to do laundry, of course, because you have to wear stuff in which to be photographed (go figure). And I had to pick out what I wanted to take with me and pack it neatly so that it wouldn't be all wrinkled when I pulled it out today. Then I had to pick up my new contacts so I could, you know, see. Then I had to make a run to CVS for various beauty items in the vain attempt to make myself, erm, beautiful. (Although, they cake enough makeup on you, I'm not sure it was really worth it, and how much can you do in one day anyway?) I then spent the rest of the evening drinking water every hour (again, so I could look beautiful and not puffy this morning) and giving myself facials. And every time I went into the bathroom I would stare at my reflection as though I'd never seen it before. What's that nose doing there, I'd ask, did I always have that, and is it too late to remove it? You know, go for the Voldemort look, I hear it's very popular these days... And what, exactly, is up with my hair? What color do you call that, mud?? And other general freaking out.

I don't really like having my picture taken. Especially when it's just me and I need to look my best. It tends to freak me right out.

So, there I was, stressing and finding new things to hate about my appearance (I already told you the photo shoot went great, so stop protesting huffily, Mom, I know you hate it when I get down on myself) and completely forgetting to write anything.

I also went to bed early, and you know I love to write late at night, so maybe that's what threw me off.

Regardless, I'm not going to let it faze me. See, this is me unfazed. The grand writing experiment continues. That is, assuming we live through the next ten days.

When I was on the subway I saw an advertisement for a book which explained the secret messages in the bible. Apparently, the bible (according to the author of this book) is telling us that the world will end on May 21, 2011. That's next week. In which case, why would I need to read the book? Also, when the world doesn't end on May 21, just what, exactly, is this guy going to do? Will the people who buy the book be allowed to return it? And why is he asking for money for this book when he only has a week to spend it?

Anyway, my headshots turned out really well. The photographer, Dave Cross, was very professional and obviously knew what worked and what didn't. He also made me feel very relaxed as did the makeup artist, Camille. Both were easy to talk to and made the whole experience enjoyable. As for the photos themselves, I will be needing your input, but I'll go through them myself and narrow it down before I start asking for opinions. You don't really want to go through 154 photos do you? I didn't think so.

Good night, and I promise to be good from now on. (At least until May 21st.)

2 comments:

Mom said...

Geeze! I just bought that twelve pack of toilet paper! That's 6 bucks I'll never get back.

Jenna said...

glad to hear they went well! Sorry I'm so far behind!