Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Park Slope Flake

I am beginning to feel like a true resident of my new neighborhood. Today (and by 'today' I mean yesterday because I'm not going to post this until tomorr-...erm...Tuesday), I got up early (and by 'early' I mean 10 am, which is rather early when you consider I went to bed at 3 am) went down to a diner near my place to eat breakfast (and by 'breakfast' I mean lunch, because it was nearly noon by the time I left since I had spent a great deal of the morning writing blog posts) and have a cup of coffee (and by 'a cup' I actually mean 3 cups. And by '3 cups' I really mean 4.) After that I went down to the bank to deposit some cash (and by 'some cash' I mean a whole lotta cash because I have just worked 12 days in a row) and then to the post office for flat-rate boxes with which to send very belated birthday gifts which have been sitting in my apartment staring at me expectantly and somewhat exasperatedly. By which I mean precisely what I said. I think the gifts are planning a revolt if I do not send them to their intended recipients right quick. By which I mean, I'm sorry I haven't sent them yet, Mom/Elizabeth. I am a bad daughter/sister.

I headed back up the hill to my apartment (carefully avoiding the comic book shop because I am ashamed to show my face there until I can afford to buy all the comics I have missed these past two months) and came upon a little shop which seemed to sell coffee and tea and the accoutrements which go with these two delightful beverages. I waffled for a bit just outside the shop, then went in. The smell of coffee awoke a primal force in my brain as my eyes were greeted with several bags of coffee beans just out there in the open, waiting to be plucked up, ground down, and transformed into that divine liquid I crave night and day. Not only that, there were also several French presses for sale, something I have considered for some time. And coffee grinders. And then my eyes fell on two large glass jars, one of which held several Cadbury Flakes and the other Crunchie bars. Paroxysms of delight!

I bought a Flake (and for those of you who have never tried either of these fantastic treats, I pity you) because it was all I could handle at the moment, and went away thinking about what size French Press I should get, and whether or not I really needed a grinder. Fresh ground coffee is delightful, but I'm not sure I NEED it...who am I kidding? Of course I NEED it!

And, I'll be supporting a local business and not Target, which is where I was thinking I would have to go for a French Press.

What a true Park Slopian I am!

Now, I am going to post this tomorrow (Tuesday) because I do not want to overburden you with posts. Hopefully I will have more adventures Tuesday (today, from your perspective), which is my first official day off since July 15.

I think I'll save the Flake for later. By which I mean I am going to eat it now.

5 comments:

F. Radcliffe said...

Why are you so frakking adorable?

ksteve said...

I feel so special to have an entire post dedicated to me. Since you posted again in such quick succession however, I felt the need to only comment once. ;)

I have a french press that I bought about two years ago and have hardly used in the past year. Mainly because I've been having to restrict my caffeine intake for this little alien inside my belly. Not much fun when you're used to 4 cups of coffee a day...plus, since the french press coffee is stronger, what little coffee I have had I've been making in my usual coffee maker...that way I can get away with a little more!

By the way, good for you, getting out at exploring your new neighborhood. We recently moved to a new area of Chicago and I've only explored a bit. I still need to venture into the local coffee shop and not the Starbucks...I'm bad like that.

mom said...

funniest blog contender!!!!! You are a riot!
LU

mom said...

oh, and I have a coffee grinder you can have if you like. :o)

Jenna said...

Hehehe, it IS a funny post. Yea for time off- I hope you're not working *too* hard.