Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Grinding a French Deadhead

Oh Sweet Heavenly Bean
or, An Ode to Coffee

Stimulate me, oh stimulate me Mighty Caffeine,
Your texture, creamy
Your complexion, dark
Your temperature, hot - all the way down -
Woods and Adventure, you invoke Wild Dreams and Sleepless Nights
I drown in your warm embrace,
Thy name is Coffee, and I yield to thee.


So, I got my French Press.

And a grinder.

And a pound of coffee called "Deadhead".

Ahhh, tranquility.

It was a different woman in the shop this time, and I think she must be the owner, because a song came on and she said, "Oops, hold on one minute, this is my son's music, I just want to skip this song."

She was also very knowledgeable in the coffee department. She asked me how many cups I drink, and whether I often had company, and how dark do I like my coffee, etc. And, armed with my answers, she proceeded to set me up with my ideal coffee friends. She was adorable, and very happy that I was spending money in her little local shop. She also had a slight Scottish accent. I particularly noticed it when she said, "It has a nice little whir to it," when talking about the grinder.

Adorable.

I held off on the Flake and Crunchie, figuring I would have another chance when I came back to replenish my bean supply.

Mmmm

I even got crack for the occasion. (For those of you who don't know, crack is what I call the liquid Coffee Mate. It's like crack in that it is horribly addicting, and makes you feel oh-so-good. Don't do crack, though, kids. Real crack, that is. It's no good. There was a time when I was putting crack (Coffee Mate) in my oatmeal. Now THAT is dangerously good. Like buttered poptarts. Mmmm, I haven't had a buttered poptart in years....)

(Insert segue to new topic here)
I SURRENDER! I'll watch the show already!

HA! YES! I have converted someone!

Wait.

You don't count, you're already a nerd.

Oh well, at least I'll have someone to talk to about my passion. And really, THANK GOODNESS I have you, because otherwise I would go mad.

That's all for now folks, see you next time!

Jules

4 comments:

F. Radcliffe said...

Your poem is a package of herbed Laughing Cow with a side of mini babybel, sitting on a wheel of brie.

mom said...

I don't know that I've ever read a poem of yours, but I think this one is brilliant and fairly shouts "Julia!"

F. Radcliffe said...

Actually, shouldn't it be a "Freedom Press"?

Jenna said...

Hehe, another cool post. I also like the poem.

Oh- I started watching a show yesterday from Showtime, called Nurse Jackie with Edie Falco. Someone told me it was suppper good- funny, odd, sarcastic, etc. I watched the first episode, but wasn't that impressed. I think I'm jaded after watching shows like Dexter, I mean, how does one compete? Anyways, the point to this is that Nurse Jackie is addicted to drugs- prescription drugs, and in the last episode I watched she ground up percocet (sp?), placed the powder in a few little sugar substitute packets (after removing the actual sugar substitute), and brought three packets to work. She then proceeded to dump these packets into her coffee throughout the day.
Hm, this might be a ramble, but I thought of it when you said liquid crack...