Thursday, November 1, 2007

Julia comes out of the Batcave...

Oh my gosh, so much to tell you!

Last Saturday I was invited to Annette's birthday party. Annette and Deirdre own the store in which I work. (It's just the three of us running the store, they don't have any other employees.) The party was at Deirdre's house and consisted of Deirdre and her husband, Vito; Annette with her husband, Phil; their friend Louise and her mother Ruth, and Louise's boyfriend Ralph. And me. Awkward!

No, I'm kidding. It was fun! Especially once we'd all had a bit of liquor... Ralph plays the guitar and they kept threatening to make me sing along with him. Finally, after much wine, Ralph went to get his guitar and some music books. And I sang. A lot. Sometimes Louise and I sang together, which was fun. Everyone was very nice and said that I had a lovely voice and why hadn't I been snatched up by Broadway yet? What they don't understand is that there are barrels of pretty young girls who can sing well and I'm just waiting for that big hand to reach in and pick me up and stick me in the frying pan with butter and a little garlic and....that sentence ended up in a different place from where it started...

Anyway. I had fun. And, it turns out that Louise sometimes works with this theatre company as a director. She was very impressed with my voice, so here's hoping she directs a show soon! Right now she's working on a documentary which she hopes to enter into a contest.

Then, on Monday, I went to a Halloween party with my roommate, Becca. This was a party of people my own age, all of whom had graduated from AMDA. I went as Batgirl. I found a black mask which was actually part of a male stripper costume (it came with tuxedo cuffs and a bow tie) but it was only $1, so I got it. Then I searched everywhere for a t-shirt with the bat-logo on it. I thought, "surely I'll be able to find a black t-shirt somewhere with the bat-symbol! And then it will be something I can wear whenever I want and not just on Halloween." But no. The only place I could find it was in the boy's section at Daffys. So I bought the largest size of boy's Batman pajamas I could get and hoped that the top would fit me. It did. Barely. The sleeves became 3/4 length on me, and the, erm, chest area was a bit snug, but otherwise it looked great! It's got the bat-symbol, a painted-on utility belt, and a small cape attached with velcro. There are pants too, but I barely squeezed into them, so I decided to wear my own black pants. My black boots completed the outfit. I know Becca took pictures, so I'll try to put one up.

Anyway, I got to see some people I haven't seen in a long while, and just generally relaxed and had fun.

Tuesday, Chris and I went to see Transformers in Imax. (I hadn't seen it yet. Not as lame as I was expecting...)

Wednesday, Chris and I went to the Park Slope Halloween parade. He was dressed like a pirate and I was in my Batgirl costume again. Surprisingly, I got more comments than he did. All these little kids kept exclaiming with delight "Look, it's Batgirl!"
I didn't see anyone else dressed as Batgirl. Lots of Wonder Women and Supergirls, but no Bats.

Next Saturday, I'm invited to another party at a friend of Annette's. Apparently they have it every year and there will be about 150 people there. The man who's hosting it used to perform on Broadway and there will probably be a lot of people there who are "in the business" so I'm looking at it as a way to make contacts and schmooze a bit. I've also been warned that there will be more singing, so I'll be prepared this time. Maybe warm up a little before I go...

Goodness! My life suddenly went from 0 to 90mph! But, you've got to just roll with it, I guess. It's just strange the way everything happens at once. My friend Phil called the other day, too, and I haven't heard from him in ages. We're tentatively making plans for Sunday with Mary Katherine. In which case, my weekend is booked, which hasn't happened in a while.

There. Now you're all caught up. Mostly. For more details about Chris, you'll have to either call or e-mail me. I'm not going to put anything else up here from that department.

Later,
Jules

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow,so that's what living in NYC is all about! Sounds like you had a great time and another one's a'comin'!

Keep us posted!
ILYYK

A said...

You sure are living the exciting life. I'm so glad you're having fun and I'm really looking forward to reuniting in January! :-)

Anonymous said...

Waaaait a minute! Your apartment has a nickname?? What's its real name?

Anonymous said...

OK, Anonymous new one o' two.... Now we can really drive her nuts with her guessing who we are!! What fun!!

A-First

Anonymous said...

power to the little people!

A-Junior

Anonymous said...

Whoohoo!

A-First