Sunday, November 11, 2007

Not Very Exciting News

OK, I don't want everyone to freak out over this, 'cause nothing is definite, yet.

Wait.

Let me start at the beginning...

I got an e-mail from a theatre company, inviting me to audition for their upcoming season. This is important for two reasons: one, THEY contacted ME, and two, I was going to be given an appointment time which meant a lot less stress on me.

The only trouble spot was that the audition was for Saturday, which is, of course, one of my work days. However, both Annette and Deirdre are extremely supportive of my pursuit of an acting career and told me not to even worry about it, that it was no problem, and that I could work part of the day, and then go to the audition whenever I needed. Yeah, they're wonderful. Plus, working right up until I had to leave meant that I was doing something other than waiting around being nervous, which helped tremendously.

I got to the audition 20 minutes early, and they were running ahead of schedule so the monitor told me I could go in and sing whenever I was ready. I went to the bathroom, composed myself, then told her I was ready. I sang Wild and Reckless (a favorite of mine) and was going to sing But Not For Me, when the casting director said "Do you have any Pop?" Oh God, I thought. Pop? I don't sing Pop! I only have classic musical theatre! Don't panic...

I looked frantically through my book. "Well, I have this...The Weekend of a Private Secretary." I took a moment to grin at the thought of Mary Katherine who always wants me to sing this song at auditions because she loves the way I do it.

Of course, he's never heard of it; no one has. But he tells me to give it a whirl, so I do. Then he says that he wants me to read some scenes. "You should read for Nick" (Alexander's brother. Oh, did I mention that I was dressed in my Goonies t-shirt, ripped jeans, and a baseball cap because all the parts I'm auditioning for are boy roles which are traditionally played by females?)
So I go back outside and get the pages for the scene from the monitor, and start looking them over. Another girl went in to sing while I was practicing, then I went back in and did the scene.

"OK, now I want you to read for Piglet." Back out I went, to get the Piglet scene in which Piglet is disguised as Roo to play a prank on Kanga, only to find that when he says the code word for when everyone is to jump out and yell "surprise, it was just a trick!" no one is there. He must now convince Kanga that he is not Roo, he is Piglet.

The first scene I read with the monitor, but for this one I read with the girl who sang after me. She was auditioning for Kanga.

Then he said he wanted us to read the Alexander and Alexander's mother scene. "I don't think Alexander is something we'd be looking at you (meaning me) for, but if you wouldn't mind sticking around to read with her..." Of course I didn't mind! The scenes were fun, and I was having a good time (something unheard of in the auditions I've been to...) so I stayed and did the scene.

OK, now that we're all caught up...

I got a callback. I just got an e-mail this morning telling me that they would like me to audition for the director. Next Saturday. SQUEAL!! Sorry, the excitment got away from me...

I don't want everyone to get their hopes up, because I still have a lot to get through before I'm finally offered a role, but it is exciting just to be called back!

And now, I have to wrap this up, because I have to go to work...

Love you all!

Jules

4 comments:

Jenna said...

AHHHHHH!!! I'm so exited for you even if you told me not to be!!! WOW! It's sooo great! I'm so happy that you have a call back and that this audition was a good experience! Make sure to keep us all posted! BTW- how did they get your info. to contact you?

love,

Jenna :)

Anonymous said...

break a leg at call backs

Jenna said...

dude- it's been a week, i need an update! PS- You should check this our you cat lover, it's hilarious!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2066897499

Jenna said...

maybe try this

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.
individual&videoid=2066897499