Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Audition #3 and #4

I'm combining these because number three was just as uninteresting as the last one. Once again, it involved me dragging myself out of bed at a not-quite-ridiculous-but-early-enough-thank-you-very-much hour, arriving at the audition only to leave again without having been seen. This was sort of my own fault though, cause both Becca and I had to work at 3:00 and the audition didn't begin until 1:00, which meant that we had to be the first people to run to the sign-up sheet, braving wayward elbows and piercing spike heels, so that we could actually audition. Apparently we aren't tough (or desperate) enough, because a lot of skinny white girls managed to push us to the back of the line. (And if you think that makes us wimps, I defy you to try and take on an actress who has spent at least four hours on her hair and probably hasn't eaten for a week so she'd be skinny enough to audition for Disney. Scary.) Anyway, we decided to cut our losses and went to Dunkin Donuts instead.

However, this morning (or afternoon, it's hard to tell when you're locked in a room for long stretches of time, waiting for them to call your name) I actually got to sing for some people. And they were people who could make decisions about casting me, not just people on the street.
We were instructed to only sing 8 bars, which, if you know anything about music, is reeaaaalllly short. Usually casting directors ask for 16 bars, or, if you're lucky, 32. But if they're pressed for time, or have a very specific picture of what they're looking for (or both) they don't need more than 8 to decide whether they want you or not. So, intellectually, I understand. As a performer, however, I'm certain that it is impossible to understand everything about a person (including personality, intellect, and talent) in such a short time. But, they have been doing this for a lot longer than I have, and I have a bit of an edge because all of the people involved in the project teach at AMDA. (I didn't know any of them personally, because I wasn't in their classes, but I recognized them from seeing them around the building, and it was encouraging to see some familiar faces.)

Also, they laughed.

And I don't mean that they laughed at me and then pelted me with erasers because I was so bad.

No.

I mean, I sang a funny song (Say That We're Sweethearts Again) and they laughed at the punchline. The first time I sang this song (which you have to understand has a very warped sense of humor about it, but totally works for me) was for an audition for Disney. They didn't laugh. They stared at me. I could see their thought process: Well, she looks like she could play a Disney princess, but she's intelligent and funny....I have no idea what to do with her. NEXT!

But this time, they got the joke, and seemed to enjoy my performance. Also, I kicked a** on the last note. I was worried about it before I went in, cause I haven't belted that high in a while, and even though I knew I could take it into my soprano voice, it sounds better when I belt it. But I needn't have worried, cause it popped out of me strong and clear and with good tone. Even the other girls waiting outside said so.

Anyway, they said "thank you", I said "thank you" and smiled manically at everyone in the room before I left (I also said "thank you" with a huge smile to the accompanist and the girl who opened the door to let me out and the next girl in), and that was it. Overall, I feel good about it. Of course, what I'm not telling you is that the beginning of the song was a little rocky (and with only 8 bars, that can be devastating), but I got over it quickly and finished strong. (I didn't give a very good tempo to the accompanist, so it took a moment for us to get in sync. Totally my fault, but not a huge deal.)

So there you have it. Becca and I came back, ate pizza and watched a movie.

Till next time!
Love,
Jules

2 comments:

Jenna said...

HAha! for once I am the first to comment on your blog! Sorry Lynn. Ahem. Thanks for the update- I'm glad that you're getting more experience. I'm also glad that the second audition went well. When do you typically find out about an audition? Keep us posted!!!

Anonymous said...

Good going! Two! Let's hope the one saw what talent your voice is and give you a ring... Like Jenna said - how long until you know? We are all on pins and needles right there with you...