Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sharing is Good

I don't share enough with you. And that's bad, because my mother always taught me that sharing is good.

Let me share some links to some websites that have helped me procrastinate lately:

First there's this, which so completely describes my life, it's kind of scary.

Then there's this, which also so completely describes my life, I can't decide which is more describy-er.

Half of my readership (AKA my mother) has already read both of these, but I wanted to share anyway. Because that's the kind of person she brought me up to be.

On the subject of being an adult:

DUDE! I WAS A MOTHERF***ING ADULT TODAY!

First, I paid a bill.
Second, I went to an appointment (voice lesson).
Third, I went to the bank.
Fourth, I purchased necessary items like shampoo, and contact cleaner.
Fifth, I came home and watched cartoons....wait, no, this was supposed to be the Why I Am An Adult List.

I lied, I didn't watch cartoons. I watched Wipeout, which, quite frankly, is basically the same thing. I laughed at people getting hit in the head with rubber objects then falling down whilst flailing their arms much in the way of Kermit the frog. (Is it Kermit the frog as in "Hi I'm Kermit, and I'm also a frog," or Kermit the Frog as in "I am Kermit, KING OF THE FROGS!! BOW BEFORE YOUR MASTER!"?)

Anyway, it's the oldest form of humor: slapstick, and I never get tired of it.

All right, let me get that elephant out of the room before we go any further, he's kind of taking up a lot of space, and making it difficult to reach my keyboard...

I haven't been updating this blog.

Also, I never wrote about The Voice Audition Experience, AKA the least fun ride at Disneyland. Not that I didn't enjoy myself at the audition, in fact, I'm really glad that I went, I'm just saying it would be like standing in line for a ride which involves standing in line.

These are things that I know. You don't have to shout.

Listen, I've been writing, just not what I call "productive writing". I also (don't hit me) haven't been writing a full 600 words every day. *whine It's haaaarrrd whine*

It is hard, and that's pretty much all I've been writing about, is how hard it is to write everyday. Then I'll write a non-sequitur. Here's an example from something I wrote a few days ago:

Blah. I don’t like where this story is going, and I’m afraid I have completely written myself into a corner, and now I have to go back and rewrite a huge portion, and well, blah. Dawn. He loved the dawn. Night was cold and mysterious, and the stars would shine and he would watch them and wonder why they shone. Day was warm and bustling, and he would watch the people and wonder who they were and where they went. But dawn was different. Dawn was a creeping warmth, a new beginning.

Now, does that little paragraph have a story attached to it? No. Could it fit into any of the stories on which I'm currently working? Not really. So it's just a fragment, a nice but ultimately useless bit of writing? Pretty much.

See why I haven't been sharing this stuff with you? It doesn't go anywhere, it just sits there taking up space in my brain, when I really need that space for other things, so I feel like maybe if I get it out and put it to paper, it will stop sleeping on my brain's couch and eating all of it's potato chips. But once I write it down I think, "Huh, that's interesting. I wonder where I could go with that? Let's explore it further even though I know it will never become a full-blown story and I'm really just pursuing it as a way to procrastinate from doing any productive writing."

Not writing about The Voice, though, that's inexcusable. There are some great anecdotes there. And eventually, I'll get around to it.

For now, I struggle on, and do my best.

OK, I'm done, I've been enough of an adult for one day. Now I'm going to play video games.

I'll share one more thing before I go:

FOREVER!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

mom said...

Brilliant! Forever!

On another note, where are your other readers? Anyone? Anyone? Hellooooooooooo...

jenna said...

Hey!!! Glad you finally posted! And Lynn- for the other readers, she hasn't updated in FOOOORRREEEEVVVEEERRRR- so I assume people prob. thought something had happened to her.

Jules- I really like the first describey thingy.

Sorry to hear that writing is hard.

And I didn't get the pony thing at the end.

School started yesterday- it's going well, but a lot of work, as always! Although more so with the new standards- suck. Sometimes I have little butterflies of nervousness before the first day, but I didn't at all- not one. However, I have had really odd dreams the past two nights and thought you might be able to relate:

Dream one- involved vampires and (maybe) me trying to save the world? It was all apocolypsey, but I can't quite remember.

Dream two- involved zombies and was definitely apocolypsey.

I kinda wonder what I'll dream about tonight.

Oh and if you don't know, Quinn had her baby!!! It's a girl!

keep posting, 'cause I like to know what's happening!

Tom said...

Of course I'm still reading! I wasn't going to waste the 2 years of cryptic Christmas cards it took to find this blog:)

F. Radcliffe said...

I'm pretty sure it's Kermit the Frog, as opposed to Kermit the Magnificent or Kermit of the Iceni.