Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I've Got Your Quirky Right Here, Buddy!

I see no one else is clawing their way into the guest blog arena. So you'll just have to deal with me and my nonsensical ramblings. I present to you a post I wrote in my notebook a while back and forgot to type up.

The incredibly nerdy just happened. (And, because I actually wrote this several weeks ago, you should ignore the 'just happened' part. Or go with it. Whatever you choose.)

OK, you know that I'm involved with a company called The Actor's Project or TAP, and that I perform in showcases with them, the purpose being to invite agents and casting directors to come see me and say, "Oooh. I want THAT one!" Or do you? Did I mention this? OK, well, now you know.

I've already performed in one showcase (I should mention these showcases are made up of original comedic monologues written by other members or the artistic director) and I'm currently rehearsing for another.

My previous monologue came fairly easily for me, but the new one was giving me a bit of trouble. Don't worry, I'm getting to the so-nerdy-you'll-laugh-at-me part.

Anyway. Every time I've done this monologue the director has told me that I need to go further, be more quirky.

What could possibly be more quirky than me, you ask?

Well, I was working on it and working on it and at the same time, watching a lot of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Well, not at the EXACT same time, 'cause that would be distracting and no wonder I wasn't getting anywhere with it.

No, the two were not occurring simultaneously, just around the same time.

So, as I said, I was working on it, trying to make it quirkier, when I suddenly thought, 'Why don't I try doing it as though I am Data from Star Trek?'

I removed the contractions (which for some reason made it instantly 30% funnier), and made my speech more precise. It also changed the emotion underneath. The essence of the monologue is about getting people to like her and be her friend. For Data this is also very important because he reveres humans and yearns to be more like them. Suddenly, my need in the monologue had a whole deeper level to it.

The next time I performed it for the director he said it was perfect. "Don't change a thing."

The moral of the story: Forget what your parents said; watching ever increasing quantities of science fiction is NOT a waste of time.

Goodnight and sweet dreams,
Jules

PS-Thanks Mom and Dad for never saying that to me.

4 comments:

mom said...

do not mention it, you are welcome.

F. Radcliffe said...

That reminds me of the time I wrote an entire term paper while pretending to be Leela.

No! That didn't really happen! It was Bender.

ksteve said...

love it =)

Jenna said...

hey, I've heard that story already. BUT speaking of the Actor's Project, did you ever call any agents for your next showcase? 'Cause I really think you should. Or, you should find someone to do it for you. I'm sure you could find someone interested in shopping you around...wait, that didn't sound quite right. BUT I think you know what I mean.

P.S. Josh is here and he said they talked about entanglement in his lab today- he wanted me to tell you.