Monday, June 15, 2009

Soap Operas with Superpowers

I haven't been to the comic book shop in 2 weeks.

I KNOW!

And it's not because there aren't things I want to be reading. In fact, they just launched a new Batman and Robin title in which Batman is played by former Robin Dick Grayson and Robin is played by the illegitimate son of Bruce Wayne and (sometime) villain Talia, Damien.

So, basically, comics are like printed soap operas with superpowers.

Hmm, I was making a joke, but that actually isn't a bad analogy. Soap operas run for years with essentially the same cast of characters, and they must constantly find new ways to mess up those characters in interesting and world-ending ways.

Except, soap operas have bad acting, and that's pretty much taken out of the equation when it comes to comic books so you still get the great character-driven plot-lines, but without the cheesy line readings and the "I've just smelled something unpleasant" dramatic close-ups.

This was not at all what I wanted to write about today. I actually wasn't planning on writing much of anything because I really have nothing to report. I packed one suitcase last night that I plan to wheel over to my new apartment, but other than that, I don't really have anything interesting to tell you.

Oh, well, I did watch 5 episodes of Heroes season 3 last night. This was while I was packing. Here's the thing about that: season 3 is nowhere near as good as season 1, but not quite as bad as season 2, and they have this annoying habit of cliffhangers which make you want to know more. And it's hard, because there are a lot of things that disappoint you, but every once in a while, something brilliant happens that is just enough to make you hope.

I was talking with my sister about it, and found that her observations were absolutely correct:
"I find that while I'm watching season 3 it just makes me nostalgic for season 1."

Yeah.

But, as Becky would say, "Aww, Sylar...eeeeep," (in a deeply sympathetic voice).

Yes, Zachary Quinto is perhaps the only reason to keep watching.

Funny how he's the best thing about Star Trek too.

Hmmmm....coincidence? I think NOT!

Later dudes,
Jules

2 comments:

F. Radcliffe said...

Hey, credit! Hoo! Also, if you want to bake up a batch of your own Heroes 3, use the following episode ingredients: 1 part "Nice!," 2 parts "meh," 1 part "ew." Stir. Repeat until you have a full season.

Jenna said...

hehe, yeah- i think heroes has become a disappointment. :(