Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Universe, Meet Julia

Grrr. So, this was supposed to be Prince Charming vs. The Beast: Round Two. And HOPEFULLY I'll get to that eventually. But right now, I am so consumed by this comic book idea, that I can't actually think about anything else right now.

Oh my gosh, you guys, you have NO idea how excited I am about this!

It's the sort of comic book that I would like to read, so hopefully other people will like it as well. For my most recent birthday I received The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics, from my sister's girlfriend. (She told me it was actually my sister's idea, so big Thank You to both of you!!) This has provided me with the essentials of how to write a comic book. Mostly, it helped with the structure, and gave me ideas about layout and how to get the most out of your artist.

Artist. I think I've talked before about my fabulous stick figures. My idea is to get some scripts written, then put an add on craigslist asking for a comic book artist who doesn't mind that I can't pay very much. Hopefully, I'll find someone who is trying to get into the industry, and is interested in collaborating on a story, and getting it published. Everything I've heard says that the big companies don't accept solicitations, but that there are many avenues for self-publishing, and if you have something that is finished, which you can just hand to them and say, "hey, I did this," they will look at you much more seriously. And if I want to be a professional writer, I'm going to need to rein in those run-on sentences. They just get away from me sometimes.

Did I say "professional writer"? OK, this doesn't mean that I want to give up acting, because it's still a passion, and as soon as my agent gets back (he's out of town) I fully intend on meeting with him and working up a strategy and some goals for the future of my acting career. However, I've decided that I'm going to put energy into BOTH pursuits. I feel invigorated by this new idea that maybe I have talent in a couple different areas, and there's no law that says I can only have one career. I've wanted to be an actor for so long, I think I sort of blocked everything else out. I didn't want to see that there might be other possibilities because I thought that it would tempt me into taking the easy* way out. And maybe it would have. Maybe if I had realized how important writing was to me sooner, I never would have come to NYC and studied at AMDA. And then I never would have met Phil, who got me into comic books in the first place.

Everything happens for a reason, and if you keep yourself open to what the universe is telling you, things will fall into place.

That's how most of my life has happened, so far. I feel like when I shut down and refuse to see what is happening around me, that's how I miss stuff and get caught in a rut. But when I stop, open my eyes and really look, everything becomes clear. Of course, hindsight is always 20/20, but, do me a favor: try it.

Think about where you are in your life right now. How did you get there? What choices did you make along the way? How much of it was out of your hands? I know, for me, there have been things that happened which altered my life forever, over which I had no control. Hurricane Katrina, to name one. Here was this terrible disaster that turned my life upside down. And now look at the choices you made after whatever act of Fate occurred to you. I made the choice to go to NY and study at AMDA. Something that I was going to do after I graduated anyway, so who knows what would have happened. The point is, I made a choice. A Really-Bad-Thing happened, as they do in life, but I didn't let it make me helpless. Well, I did for a bit. I was in a bad place after that, unsure of my future, of what direction I should take next. And then I took control.

There are some things you just can't do anything about, and you need to know that, but you can't let it rule your life. You have to remember that this is your life, not Fate's, and you have control.

There I go with my preaching again. Do you find that I preach too much on this blog? I do. I'll try to keep it down.

What was I talking about? Right. We think that these things are random, that we go from place to place with no rhyme or reason, but if you look back, you can see the patterns. Some of you will call this God. And maybe it is; I really don't know. But I tend to think we make our own futures. We are beings of energy, positively bursting with the power to affect the world around us. And I believe that the energy we send out is what we'll get back. So if we're negative, saying that "bad things happen to me all the time, and there's nothing I can do about it," then that is exactly what will happen. And you will spend your life as a miserable person, blaming everyone else for your misfortunes. But if you believe that people are generally good, that you are capable and strong and in control of your destiny, then it will be so. There I go again....not two seconds after I promised to stop!

Anyway, I had to go to UNO to meet Kathleen. I have no doubts about that. I had to make friends with Phil so that he could introduce me to comics at the very moment that I was most ready for it. I had always been interested before, I just needed that extra little push. And it just happened that at that very moment, Countdown was beginning. A perfect book to start me off. Jenna began her blog, which sparked the idea that maybe I could do the same. This got me to practice writing more often, and got me used to people reading and responding to my writing. My Mom has supported me every step of the way, always offering that little bit of encouragement, and reminding me that I am intelligent and strong (good genes!) and can accomplish anything I put my mind too. Heck, my sister got me interested in writing in the first place! She's always been a great story-teller, and I guess I wanted to be one too. I remember her writing stories and I thought it was the coolest thing EVER! The idea that you could MAKE UP your OWN story?? Brilliant! (That, and she lent me Arkham Asylum, which I believe was actually my Very First Comic.)

And now, all these elements have come together in this idea I've had.

I actually have to pee, I'm so excited about this idea! That, or the iced coffee I had earlier has worked it's way through my system. Be right back.

Ahh, better.

So, do you want to hear about this comic book?

Jules
___________________________________________________________________
*"Easy" being a relative term. I mean, writing isn't exactly an easier profession than acting.**
**Ooooooh! My first foot-note...isn't it exciting?!

5 comments:

F. Radcliffe said...

Yes, yes! I want to hear - or, I suppose if we're being accurate, read - all about it!

Jenna said...

Hey friend, so I didn't respond sooner rather than later, but I am doing it now, as I sit in an airport waiting for our plane to magically appear out of the sky and fly us back to denver. ^^ I am glad to see/read that you are in fact going to pursue writing. I think it will help get your creative juices flowing (acting too). So, I say, go for it!

I'd love to hear your story idea- I'm sure it's fantastic. Are you worried about writing your idea down? I wouldn't want someone coming along and filching it out from cyberspace. :)

Jenna said...

P.S. I found this post rather inspiring, than soap-boxy. ^^ I feel like I can take on the world now.

Anonymous said...

Of course we want to read about your comic book idea!

And what is in the fun by telling you who I am? ;)

Just know that I think of you often and care very much for you. I love hearing how you are growing up, finding yourself. That you can put a piece of yourself up for others to read is a wonderful accomplishment and you should be proud of yourself. Not only in your growth, but in your acheivement as a writer. It shows in your blogs.

Now you go girl and get writing on that comic book and make it great! We all know you will..

Anony One

Anonymous said...

Yes! Let's hear about it!