Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Prince Charming vs. The Beast

My favorite fairy tale is Beauty and the Beast. It has been since I was a little girl, reading our huge book of fairy tales. Then the Disney film came out, and that clinched it. It remains my favorite Disney film of all time.

I've been thinking lately that all my ideas about men (more specifically, who the ideal man for me would be) came from my love of that fairy tale. In fact, I rather believe that every woman can be divided into two (no, wait, three) categories: those who go for Prince Charming, those who go for the creature that will one day turn into Prince Charming, and those who chuck 'em all and say, "Heck, I'm goin' for the hot princess!".

I'd like a guy who's quiet, reserved. Someone who doesn't have to talk to me all the time, but can just be silent with me, communicating everything with a glance, a touch. And, of course, I like a little monster in my men. Just a little one. The Beast is essentially a good man, after all, but he's a Bad Boy too.

This explains my obsession with Batman. He is very much a Beast figure. A rich, powerful, possibly arrogant, man who becomes cursed and forced to live in shadows, waiting for the day when someone will come along and lift the curse from him.

So, why is it that I always end up with sappy Prince Charming? If he was just plain ol- PC, I might be able to handle it, but I somehow end up with the useless-against-dragons-but-good-with-the-washing-up sort of PC's.

Oh gosh, have to go. I'll finish this discussion later.

Jules

No comments: