Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Previews

All right, I know I promised a Hulk review, and you'll get it! I'm just stretching this out a little longer. So, first, I'd like to talk about the previews.

First, Hancock.

I think this looks fantastic. Of course, I'm a sucker for an anti-hero, but seriously, I'm just glad that Will Smith is playing the hero. Honestly, my first thought was "thank goodness someone's doing a movie where a black man is the superhero and not just the sidekick." I know we had the Blade trilogy, but he's much more anti than hero, and that was a while ago.

DC comics has talked a lot about how much they want to diversify the DC universe. They want the universe to reflect the diversity of the real world, and, specifically, the diversity of comic book readers. The new Blue Beetle, Jaime Reyes (pronounced hai-mee), is an Hispanic-American teen, and a favorite with fans. DC recently published an issue where Jaime goes to a family reunion. The entire issue was in Spanish with an English translation in the back of the book. One of these days, I'm going to pick this series up, and I think I'll really like it. I'm just waiting for the current story-arc to finish so I can start with the new one.

Then there's Batwoman, who strode out of the pages of 52. She's a fiery red-head who shares an intimate past with Renee Montoya, the new Question. Renee, when she's emotionally unstable, has a tendency to drink heavily, throw up emotional walls, and wind up in bed with random hot chicks. This already drove one girlfriend away, and isn't helping her relationship with Batwoman (Kate). The point being, these are fully fleshed out characters. The fact that they're gay isn't their defining quality (although, certain news organizations would have you believe otherwise. But then, didn't they do the same to Dumbledore?) Kate is also Jewish. She and Renee celebrate Hanukkah during 52.

What about Jason Todd, who's a complete a**hole? It is my belief that a sizable chunk of the American population is made up of a**holes, and in the name of frat boys everywhere, don't they deserve some representation?!!

My point is, if the comic books can do it, why not the comic book movies? Let's have a movie about John Henry Irons, AKA Steel.

Or Ryan Choi, the new Atom.

And when are we going to get some British heroes??!! I mean, sure, there's Alfred, but he spends most of his time cleaning guano out of the batcave. (Well, how else does it stay so tidy with that many bats flapping around? Huh? You tell me.)

Anyway...Hancock appears to have similar powers to Superman. Don't get me wrong, I love Superman, but despite being from another planet, he looks awfully "all-American-boyish". That's why I love characters like Martian Manhunter (this aside is just for my sister, everyone else skip ahead: "Kitty..."). He's GREEN. Awesome. I hope they give him his own solo seri-.........oh, wait. That's right. Grant Morrison (comic book writer who is currently working on Final Crisis and Batman RIP) just KILLED him. Sorry for the spoiler, guys, but I am rather irate about this. In July there will be a single issue called Final Crisis: Requiem, which will celebrate the life and mourn the passing of J'onn J'onze. So, I guess he's really dead. That, or the editors at DC really want us to believe it. I kinda think they mean it.

GAH! THE TANGENTS ARE OUT OF CONTROL!!!

My point is, I can't wait to see this movie. And I've always admired Will Smith as a talented and comedic actor. That reminds me, I still haven't seen I Am Legend. I've been told it's good, if you don't mind that it starts to break down a little in the second half. I think I'd like it. I liked the book...

Once again, this post is far too long. I haven't even gotten to the X-Files preview yet!

Okay, I'm ending this one here, and will continue at a later date. However, since I don't want a riot on my hands, I will post my Hulk review next. Look for it tomorrow (6/26) at 9:00am. Then I'll follow that with the rest of the previews.

Once again, however, I will continue writing all of these TONIGHT (6/23). Actually, it's past midnight now, so it's really 6/24. I'm tired of typing, but still have lots of material, and don't dare stop now. I'm on a ROLL!

See you tomorrow!
Jules

3 comments:

F. Radcliffe said...

Will Smith can go either way for me. He seems to do really well with those summer blockbuster type films, and less well when he tries to be a serious actor, with the notable exception of "Ali," which was a) wonderful, and b) directed by Spike Lee. My point being that maybe he's one of those actors who can do really well in capable hands but kind of falls flat elsewhere. (See also: Nicholas Cage, Leonardo DiCaprio, Juliette Lewis.)

Anonymous said...

Didn't see it but I heard great things about "Pursuit of Happyness".

Jenna said...

Dude- you are outta control, I can't keep up. I figured I'd better respond now before you post another blog. (p.s. you never responded to my e-mail, but I can't remember what it was about anyways, so whatevs ^^)

first- thanks for all the info on comic books- I don't know how I'd get all this info without you. It really is interesting and when I finally step back onto American soil, I may even try and find some of these series.

Although I really liked Hulk, I still liked Iron Man better- I thought it had a better plot, while Hulk had better action. But- they're both good and I am looking forward to further marvel movies with good actors. I love robert downy jr AND edward norton.

I Am Legend was really good- which surprised me, b/c if you remember I'm not a huge Will Smith fan. But it was well done, even if I wanted to see more of the storyline in some areas (does that make sense?).

Lastly, and you'll never believe it, I had an phone interview with Broomfield High School today. It's the first phone interview I've had, despite applying for like 12 jobs. We'll see what happens, 'cause I really need a job (I'll e-mail you more later). I should hear back early next week via e-mail, but I'll be in Vietnam. The interview was okay- I'm sure I could have answered some questions better, but who knows.

Okay, this is super long and should prob. be in an e-mail, but oh well.

-peace