Sunday, April 27, 2008

Venting

I'm just going to keep posting, even though my Mom is the only one reading...

You know what's annoying about retail? Or, at least, retail in a high end boutique? The fact that I sometimes have to explain why things are expensive.

It's not that I blame these people for being a little shocked when they see that the price of a t-shirt can be from $40-78. That seemed rather extravagant to me at first, also. But then you realize that we're talking about a t-shirt that is made of quality materials which will last for 10 years or more without fading or getting strangely stretched out. That, and the company from which we buy our t-shirts is an American company. All of their shirts are made in the US, from materials that were also made in the US. Sure, t-shirts from some third-world country are half the price, but they're probably made by slave children. OK, that might be exaggerating just a smidge.

Huh. My spell-checker doesn't recognize the word "smidge". Is that a legitimate word, or just something my family made up? It's so hard to tell...


Anyway, I hate having to explain all this to people, and they still look angry and incredulous and say things like "that's outrageous" and throw the t-shirt, all crumpled up, back on the table and then storm out of the store. (I actually had someone do that to me, before I even had a chance to explain about the slave children.) Now, I understand if that's too much for people to pay. Heck, even with my discount it's too much for ME to pay, so I really can't blame them. But do they have to be rude about it? To me? It's not MY fault. The company gives us suggested retail prices, and we're not, technically, supposed to change them. Plus, we buy these t-shirts and need to make some money from them. Our store, in particular, doesn't use a very high markup. A lot of stores mark their merchandise up way more than we do, so it's unfair to treat us like it's our fault. If you want to go to The Devil, I mean, Walmart, and buy clothes that will fall apart after one year, then fine. Do it. There's no need to be rude to me over a t-shirt.

And then there are the dressing rooms. I'm not saying you have to put all the stuff you tried on back, (that's my job), but you could at least put the $200 dress back on it's hanger instead of leaving it huddled and quivering on the floor in a crumpled heap. You may not want to buy it, but someone else might. Come on people! Make an effort! Take the time to be courteous! It doesn't take much time at all, and the world will be a better place if you do.


You know how I was going on about how beautiful New York is in the Spring? I seem to be allergic to one of those "bursting with color" trees. My eyes are itchy, I keep sneezing, and my nose is running. And it happens at 3:00pm on the dot, every day. Must be something that blooms at that time. Once I've been indoors for a while, it's OK, but spending anytime outside is less than fun.

I feel better now. Hopefully my next entry won't be so whiny.

Later,
Jules

5 comments:

F. Radcliffe said...

Retail and reality both bite.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to think of a witty comeback you can use that won't get you fired!
>
>
>
>
This may take more time--I'll get back to you!

LU,
MOM

Jenna said...

Hey dude-

I've been reading your posts faithfully. I was surprised to see that you were posting so often, but also excited because your writing makes me smile and laugh outloud. :)

AND you have excellent taste in t.v. shows- which I've known all along, but you know. I watched all of Dexter on your suggestion and it was of course fantastic. I also watched the first episode of Wonderfalls the other day and thought it was great! Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until I get back to the states to fisnih watching it, since none of the other episodes are posted online! ^^; (tear)

P.S. remember when I worked at that horrible retail store for 5 years? Yes...at least you have cool store owners and whatnot. I still get a twith or a convulsion or two every time I hear the name of the store...

This is uber long...oh well :)

Jenna said...

p.s. you should watch pushing daisies if you havne't. One of the producers or something from Wonderfalls works on that show too. It has a whimsical, tim burton feel. I really like it. Especially since Kristen Chenoweth is in it. Also, the woman who played Audrey in the movie version of Little Shop of Horrors.

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's not just your mom reading your blog! So there! We just weren't expecting a plethora of them coming all together! But I'm not whining, keep them coming :) Tell us more of your singing gig. The agency?? What's going on with that?

Yep, reality bites as does retail (as F.Radcliffe stated). ugh. But it pays the rent and puts food in your mouth. Both good things.

Anony1