Friday, April 25, 2008

Golden Silk Spider

Clearly none of you were expecting another entry quite so soon. It wasn't even all that soon! Still, I can see that I will have to work to bring you back to a place where you are checking this blog every day!! Well, okay, maybe not EVERY day. I recognize that you have lives. But now, you are going to have to catch up. So go read my last entry first, and then you can read this one.

*Jeopardy music plays*

Good.

Now let me tell you about a show you should all go out and rent. It's called Wonderfalls, and it only managed 13 episodes before it was canceled. I've only seen 4 of those episodes, but I can see from those that it should not have been canceled. It's sort of a cross between Arrested Development, Daria, and Scrubs. With a bit of Joan of Arc thrown in for good measure.

The story centers around an intelligent but disaffected 20-something woman named Jaye, who works retail at a souvenir shop in Niagara Falls. She's an Ivy League grad, whose parents are a successful author and doctor, sister is a successful lawyer, and brother is working on his doctorate in comparative religion. They can't understand why Jaye (who is so obviously intelligent and meant for greater things) would choose to live in a trailer park and work in a souvenir shop.

Then something happens. A wax lion statue talks to Jaye. Then a monkey bookend at her therapist's office. Then a group of plastic flamingos. They all want Jaye to do things for them, and if she refuses, they keep her up all night singing annoying songs. But when she does complete her tasks, she actually manages to help some people, and maybe even herself. And she begins to realize that she might be "destined for an offbeat kind of greatness." (It says so on the Netflix sleeve.)

So check it out.

I got some more writing done. Well. Not so much writing as note-taking and research. A word of advice, don't research spiders late at night. There are some really frightening pictures out there on the ol' Internet. I came over all paranoid and thought that every skin crawl was a spider trying to skitter up my leg so it could inject it's venom directly into my heart. But it paid off, and I found the info I was looking for: The Golden Silk spider, Nephila clavipes. In my story she is the Goddess of Sleep and Dreaming. Sort of. She's actually more of an ex-Goddess who now just hangs around in the body of a spider. I'm not sure how she fits into the story, or if she'll even be in it at all...but I know she's a character who inhabits this world I've created, and that might be important somewhere down the line....

I don't know. The truth is, I only have a vague idea of where this story is going. I mean, I know how it ends (in fact, I've written the end) but I haven't exactly worked out how we get there, and what sort of info I'll need to sprinkle throughout. Writing about it on this blog seems to help, though, so I guess I'll keep doing that.

And, for those of you who weren't sent this link by my mother (who sent it to just about everybody) here is my store's website: http://ottobrooklyn.com/index.php

Click on Clothing.

That's me.

Later,
Jules

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I have read both entries and I think they are fabu, as usual. Maybe the nice weather has enticed your loyal fans out into the light. I'm sure you'll be hearing from them soon!
LU,
Mom