Monday, June 13, 2011

I Blame Colorado

Okay, I had a little hiccup in the writing experiment. I was editing the short story, which is taking longer than usual, and then I went to CO for my friend's wedding, and didn't write anything or edit anything for 6 days. Now, I don't want to point fingers, but...this is all her fault. She's a very good friend who I've known for at least 10 years, and who has fought my natural tendency to avoid all human contact in order to maintain a friendship with me. And she decided to marry this great guy who happens to be perfect for her in the most beautiful setting in all of CO and possibly the world. And she asked me to be a bridesmaid so I could share in this joyful occasion and stand up with her to say, "Yes, this marriage is a good thing, and should be celebrated and reveled in and blessed by me and all those who know and love these two people."

I know, what a bitch, right?

Also, on the day before and of the wedding I was treated to the following: a manicure/pedicure which involved massage, hot wax, and champagne; endless amounts of the most incredible Italian food; amaretto sours and Monopoly (at which I kicked some ass, by the way, because it's all about the railroads baby!); a beautiful ceremony which not only made me tear up but also made me shake my booty; more incredible and endless food; real white wedding cake (delicious!); and finally, a chance to once more, shake my booty.

Now tell me how a person is supposed to concentrate on writing through all that?

It didn't help that I left Maxwell in Brooklyn. Maxwell is my laptop, in case you're wondering.

Impossible. Then, my flight was delayed for two hours on Saturday so I didn't get home until very late, and was exhausted on Sunday. I'm not really sure how I stayed on my feet and awake at the store. I think I might actually have been sleep-walking. At one point, I sort of came to and realized I was trying to sell someone a hanger. I just kept telling her it was a very modern necklace and didn't she want to be cool like everyone else?

And now, I'm writing a blog post instead of editing the short story. Please don't hurt me.

Tomorrow, I promise. I'm going to finish editing and I'm going to post the first part of the short story tomorrow. That is assuming the editing doesn't take longer than 2 hours. That's about an hour past my tolerance for editing. I'd rather just be finished and not have to think about it anymore, but, unfortunately, that can't happen. There are holes in the story that need patching, and a few long-winded paragraphs that need trimming. Not to mention the checking and re-checking of grammar and spelling. But, I'm going to try. Really.

Goodnight, and even though I know you won't read this until you get back from your honeymoon: Thanks for an incredible few days, Jenna and Josh. You deserve all the happiness you can embrace and more.

2 comments:

mom said...

Those of us who are waiting patiently forgive you. The rest of us,not so much. I am of the former, of course!

jenna said...

hehe- I find it exciting that I made it forever in your blog! We're so excited you could be part of the wedding and I'm thrilled that you approve of Josh! :)

(Although I am sorry you didn't write while you were out here! I'm sure Maxwell would have loved the trip.)

I also can't believe the hellish experience people had travelling home! Quinn and Eric were delayed 4 hours and they got back to D.C. around 4am ish and Eric had to go into work that day too. Sucky weather.