Friday, April 29, 2011

The Royal 'We'

I worked seven hours, exercised for an hour, ate dinner, and now I have to write something. Blah. Thank goodness I gave myself that extra day, because if I had to post something right now, I think I’d go crazy. I also don’t want to be up too late because I’m getting up at 4am to watch the Royal Wedding. (For some reason, I felt that needed to be capitalized, as though it were the title of a performance, which, let’s be honest, it will be. I mean, come on, those Brits know how to put on a show, amIright?) And why, you ask, are you going to watch this wedding at 4 am?

Let me start by saying I have shown absolutely NO INTEREST in this wedding until Wednesday evening. And then my mother told me that she remembers getting up at 3 AM to watch Diana and Charles tie the knot 30 years ago. And it suddenly occurred to me that this wasn’t the sort of thing that happens every day. We’re Americans, we don’t have royalty, so the traditions and frenzy over this wedding seems strange and archaic. But for Britain it is a celebration which unites her people. All over the world people will be watching the ceremony live, and there is something powerful about being a part of that. It makes me feel united too, even though I’ll be watching alone in my apartment. Also, I really like weddings.

I have no desire to get married, but I would like a wedding someday. Yeah, yeah don’t look at me like that. I have decided I won’t say I’ll never get married, because one shouldn’t close doors if one can help it, but that doesn’t mean I’m chomping at the bit. And I think I could arrange a party to which I wear a wedding dress when I’m rich and eccentric.

Oh, 600 words feels like agony tonight. I’m certain there were other things I wanted to write about, but I can’t think of them now. I just want to curl up, turn on Mythbusters, and fall asleep to the dulcet tones of science. I could finish this tomorrow. You wouldn’t even know. Ah the power I have. I could tell you I wrote this in twenty minutes whilst on the treadmill eating a salad, and you would have to believe me because HOW DO YOU KNOW??? OK, maybe that was a little far-fetched. And now I’m worried that you will never trust me again. I must tell you something honest.

You know that post I put up on Wednesday? At the end of it I said I was going to go to a kick boxing class. I didn’t go. My mother pointed out that it was there, in writing, I said I would go, and doesn’t that make me accountable? It should, but it didn’t. I got caught up watching this BBC show called The House of Eliott. Excellent show, I definitely recommend it. It is set in the 1920’s, and follows the Eliott sisters who are left penniless after their father’s death, and manage to open a successful dress shop. The fashion is wonderful, and the characters so delightfully British. We’ve been passing it around Otto, first to Deirdre because she had vein surgery and had to sit still for a long time, then to Annette, and finally to me. Anyway, I got caught up watching it, and didn’t go to the class. But I did exercise today, with weights and everything! I have no doubt I will have extremely sore arms. I used to have some nice muscle on my arms but now they’re just limp noodles. Is that 600 words? Yep.

Mythbusters here I come!

Julia

PS- There was no need to get up at 4AM, because nothing happened until 6AM. Still, I'm glad I watched it.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

hehe :) it was 4am my time. I certainly didn't get up.

F. Radcliffe said...

DUDE. The Queen was ON POINT. I think I agree with the person whom I heard say on the radio today, "I'm one of those Brits whose not at all a monarchist but simply loves the Queen."

Also, Beatrice's hat needs to die. Die, die, die a fiery unholy death.