Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Dinner, Movies, and a Bagel

It is time...for a new post.

I don't know about y'all, but I'm tired of looking at Dexter. Not that I don't still love him, but after a while, you just want to see something new.

But I've been busy! she whines.

Let's rewind to last week. No, wait, the week before that. Friday 18th, to be exact.

I had a wonderful reunion with my friend Ashley, who I haven't seen in years and have only kept in tenuous contact with over the internet. By which I mean, every once in a blue moon one of us would e-mail the other. Usually it was her e-mailing me, because (as all of you undoubtedly know) I'm terrible at keeping up with my correspondence. Anyway, long story short: she's moving to the Big Apple, and we met for dinner.

It was lovely! And strange...I always find it strange when people haven't seen each other in ages, but still manage to pick up right where they left off. I felt myself slipping easily back into my high school self, as though we had just been to the Promenade to see a movie and were now having dinner at the local Applebee's before we had to get home and finish our homework.

Well, OK, it wasn't exactly like that, obviously the two of us have changed since then...but that was even better, because we got to fill each other in on what we had missed.

Ashley asked me about living in NYC, and I tried to sound wise and jaded like a good little New Yorker should, and tried to remember if I had been as nervous about moving here as she was. I suppose I must have been, but it seems so long ago now, and I feel that nothing in this city could surprise me now. But then, I don't get out much.

Uh oh, the cats that live outside my window are having a little tiff...no, it's OK, they've made up again.

Where was I? Oh, right.

In the end, I tried to give her the best advice I had in my arsenal, and to reassure her that NYC isn't the large angry monster that it seems, and, anyway, it probably had a big lunch and wouldn't be interested in nibbling on her until well after next month, and by then she will have worn off her shiny "I'm new" coat and begun to look like all the rest of us. More effective than an invisibility cloak.

We finished dinner, I pointed her in the direction of her apartment (with further assurances that the subway system isn't that complicated, and she would know her way around in no time) and said goodnight.

As I said, it was a lovely evening.

Goodness! And here I was just going to write a few lines, yet I find that my fingers prattle endlessly when I set them loose on my keyboard.

Do I dare give you an account of last week?

I suppose I must. But I'm going to try to do it quickly; I have things to do today, and I haven't even finished my second cup of coffee yet.

On Tuesday, Kathleen came to visit. We went to eat at a Thai restaurant near my work, then walked to the movie theatre and watched Sweeney Todd. This was my second viewing and Kathleen's first. She loved it, but agreed with me that the spurting blood was really a bit much, and did we HAVE to WATCH Helena burn? Mr. Burton, you are a disturbed man...brilliant, but disturbed.

Then we went back to my apartment and watched an episode of Dexter (I know, I know, not really a Kathleen show, but she liked Sweeney Todd, and he killed any ol' bloke off the street, just so his co conspirator could chop them up into meat pies. At least Dexter has standards.) Then we proceeded to watch many many episodes from the first season of Heroes, which Kathleen had never seen.

The next day, Kathleen had a voice lesson and I had laundry, so we separated for a bit. Then we returned, watched a few more episodes of Heroes, and then went off into the city to meet up with our friend Jenna (she's Kathleen's...er...cousin? Something like that...I forget) to have dinner. Jenna is an incredibly interesting woman, and having dinner with her is always an experience. She's a writer (a rather successful one), and someone I admire a great deal. Kathleen's friend, Andrew, joined us for desert and then the four of us went off to the movies to see Atonement. Deeply depressing, but beautifully shot.

Then it was home again, home again, jiggedy jig, where Kathleen got in her car and drove back to Long Island.

There. You're all caught up now.

I worked for the rest of the week, and now I have the day off. Becca and I are going to sign up to be extras in some movie that's shooting this Spring. Could be fun, and it pays, so that's excellent.


I haven't written the story of my Incredibly Successful Audition yet because I want to see if anything comes of it. But I promise that as soon as I hear something I'll let all of you in on it. Just the title alone should tell you it's a good story.


Well, that about wraps it up for me. I'm going to go stick a bagel in my mouth and, perhaps, watch an episode of Lost before I get dressed. (I'm re-watching them all in preparation for the big season premiere!)

Later,
Jules

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's try to get Heroes to work on your computer. I'm getting desperate!

Anonymous said...

Great post! It was fun to go back in time with you, remembering all the nice times you and Ashley had through the years in Broomtown. I hope she will like NYC as much as you do.

Jenna said...

Dude,

Nice post- it was all newsy and stuff. When are Kathleen and James getting married? I can't believe she hadn't seen heroes yet...such a good show. And I'm jealous that you'll get to watch- or have watched (I NEVER know what time things are being played there)- Lost. *sigh* Hopefully I can find it online somewhere...

P.S. Ashley- enjoy the city, it's great!