Sunday, October 25, 2015

Ham and Cheese (and Mayo)



            I made myself a grilled ham and cheese sandwich for dinner tonight.  The problems were many. 

First, I only had sticks of butter, not nice spreadable butter.  Add to that the fact that our over-eager refrigerator has a tendency to freeze things rather than just keep them cold, and that equals some super hard butter.  (Seriously, this fridge thing is a problem.  I’m considering soaking all my food in alcohol just to keep it from turning to ice.  That might pose some other problems, though…)  So when I tried to spread it on my bread I ended up with a hole in one slice where my knife, instead of evenly coating the top of my bread simply speared a chunk of half-frozen butter right through it.

            Second, I put too much mayo on the first slice (yes, I put mayo on my grilled ham and cheese, deal with it) and had to hold the other slice on its edge whilst I attempted to spread some of the extra mayo on it without messing up the already buttered side.   

           By the way, I ended up filling the hole with mayo, in case you were worried about my hole.  (Sorry Mom, it had to be done.)

            Third, I had to negotiate the ratio of ham to cheese.  There are several factors which go into this process:   

  1.  How much cheese and/or ham do I have?   
  2.  How many more ham and cheese sandwiches will I be making in the near future?   
  3.  Will it be melty enough?
  4.  Should I fill my hole with more mayo?  (Again Mom, sorry.)


            My sandwich is cooking now.  I will let you know how it tastes when it is finished.


            Update:  SANDWICH IS DELICIOUS.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I hope Jenna reads this!

jenna said...

Ha! Yes, sorry it took me so long to respond- I hate to disappoint. I still get emails when you post and it's a fun surprise to open my inbox and read something funny from you. It's also been awhile since we've corresponded (a true verb?) so I'll be following this up with an email too.

Your butter spreading habits still gross me out (ie. poptarts) albeit, butter on a ham and cheese just sounds like a grilled cheese, so in retrospect, I guess it's fine. What isn't fine is the mayo. ew.

I'm glad the sandwich turned out yummy.

Hi Lynn!!!

-Jenna