Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Single's Awareness Day!

I hope I've punctuated that properly...

Hello everyone! I'm blogging from PA right now. My birthday is on the 16, so I took a little vacation to visit my Mom. We went shopping yesterday and I got some much-needed pants. Mmmm....pants.

We also had to search for the closest comic book store because the new ones come out on Wednesdays, and I didn't want to miss them. There is only one comic book store in Erie, PA, and it's a BIG one. I needed a little help finding what I wanted, but once they pointed me in the direction of the just-arrived DC comics, I was good. I picked up my five (it varies from week to week, the number of comics I get. See, most comics are monthly, some are bi-monthly, and there is one that I'm reading which is weekly, but apparently that's really rare...) and brought them to the clerk. There was a guy there buying comics and chatting with the workers, but silence fell when I approached. He looked at the comics I was buying while the clerk counted them, then looked at me, then looked at the comics, and then looked at me again.

Then he said, "You're buying every comic I just bought, except I bought more." He stared at me incredulously and I was sure the next words out of his mouth would be: "Will you marry me?"

I wanted to avoid that, so I said, "Oh really? Well, usually I buy my comics in New York City, because that's where I live. I'm just visiting."

I paid for my comics while that sunk in, and then the clerk said, "Well, I hope we'll see you again before you go." (I think he was trying to keep my attention away from his stunned, and possibly drooling, friend.)

"Maybe," I said. "You might see me again someday..." and then I disappeared off into the distance, mysteriously.

Gosh that's fun.

It seems to me that most of the guys in my comic shop are Marvel oriented. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I like the Marvel characters too, (Spiderman, X-Men, Captain America...wait, he's dead. Or is he? I've lost track...) I just don't read those books. One universe at a time, I tell myself.

Well, I really must be going. Lots to do.

Happy Valent.....I mean, Happy Single's Awareness Day!

Jules

PS- I have commented on your comments in the comment section. For those of you who might not check those things after you've commented.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Hehehe. Happy early birthday- it's the 16th in Korea right now, so it's sorta like your birthday or something...

*sigh* you break hearts wherever you go.

I do read your comments after people post. :)

In Korea the girls give chocolate to their boyfriends on Valentine's Day. A month later, March 14, boys give a present to their girlfriends (White Day). AND a month after that it's Black day- a day that "celebrates" singles... ahem

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia, it's Tara B. from back in the ol' days of high school. Wow I feel kind of old. Anyhoo, Jenna told me how to get ahold of you, so I just wanted to say happy belated birthday. Hope it was a good one.

And I have to ask, is one of the comics you've been reading either buffy or angel, or both???

You should email me, let me know how you've been! My email is taraburian@hotmail.com

CIAO!